Help! I’m stressed!
How to manage stress is probably one of the most frequently asked questions I get asked.
And rightfully so, it’s an important one.
Stress plays such a role not only in your weight, but your gut health, inflammation and overall health, especially in mid life.
Our body’s natural response to stress (or our “fight or flight” response) is to release a hormone called cortisol. Not only do you notice the effects of cortisol like your heart rate and blood pressure going up, but behind the scenes cortisol is also causing a sudden release of blood sugar in your system (for energy to fight or flight) which in turn causes a release of insulin as well.
And you’ve heard me say many times, your body can not burn fat when you have chronically high levels of blood sugar and insulin. But not only is your weight affected, this prolonged surge of cortisol causes mid section weight gain, weakens your immune system and can even decrease bone mass.
Here’s what I recommend to help manage your stress:
1. First, consider HOW you’re managing your stress—specifically your reaction to it.
We can’t control our circumstances no matter how hard we try nor how deep our worry, but we can control our reaction to it. So much of our stress is feeling out of control but wanting to be in control.
So find healthier ways to respond to the stress whether that be thru prayer, journaling, seeing a therapist or talking with a friend.
2. Secondly, vagal nerve stimulation has also proven to be effective in calming that stress overload.
- Deep breathing
- Splashing cold water on your face
- Singing and talking loudly
3. This is the the supplement I take that helps when I’m feeling stressed. The reason I love this one is bc of the combination of ingredients help specifically with weight gain related to stress.
Let me know if this helps and if you try any of these! 💕